So to everyone that donated to the American Cancer Society and supported me through my training, today was the day.

I’ve been having IT band issues since about week 10 of my training plan. I had tried to train around it/through it and still get ready. I had toyed with the idea of only doing the half marathon, but decided that if I was pain free on race day, I would attempt the full.

The first 10 miles were great! No pain and feeling good. On mile 11, my left IT band decided to rebel. For the next 2 miles I struggled, but I was in a lot of pain. At mile 13 or so, I decided I just stop before I hurt myself. However the Sag Wagon was still a bit behind me, so my only options were to sit on the sideline or keep walking. I kept walking, and the Back of the Pack (the last official runners – these guys keep the minimum pace) eventually caught up to me.

They were alternating running and walking, but I couldn’t walk fast enough to keep up with them when they ran, so I had to either get in the Wagon or get on the sidewalk. I got on the sidewalk and pulled out my map. Before the race I had a suspicion that my IT band wouldn’t make it, so I brought a map so I could walk it out.

Then I ran into another problem. The map wasn’t very detailed and I was actually concerned about getting lost. There also wouldn’t be any water along the route.

I decided I would try to push on. I had rested for a couple of miles, so my IT band felt a bit better. The Back of the Pack was about 50 yards ahead of me, so I tentatively took off running and I was able to catch up with them. My IT band wasn’t hurting TOO bad, and they were doing a 30 second walk/30 second run so I was able to hang with them.

After 5 more miles (between mile 20 – 21), my IT band finally said, “ENOUGH!”, and I couldn’t run any more. At that time I decided if I wanted to live to run another day, I should pull the plug, so I got in the Sag Wagon. Long story short: I didn’t finish. But I managed to do a half marathon AND a 10K…and that’s the way I’m going to look at it.

My new friend Roger Wright came down from Boston to run the race with me and turned in a great time. He’s the one that inspired me to run the race in the first place. It was nice to meet him and his wife, and I just wanted to thank him for coming to Atlanta!

Thanks again to everyone that has been so encouraging. If I didn’t tag you in this poston Facebook, that’s just because I’m a wee bit tired. 🙂

Till the next one!